Sinfully Simple: The Fluffiest Chocolate Sponge Cake Recipe!
Posted by Eat Cake Today on
Have you been experiencing endless cravings for the rich, thick sensation of chocolate cake while also enjoying the fun, bouncy munch of sponge cake? What if we told you that you can sate those cravings right this instant! We’ve got a brilliant recipe for the fluffiest chocolate sponge cake just for you~
Even if you’re a novice baker, there’s no need to worry. The cake is almost impossible to get wrong! All you have to do is follow this recipe to a tee and you’ll be enjoying a chocolate sponge cake in no time! Get your baker’s hat on and tie your apron, because we’re ready to start baking your cravings away~
Sponge cakes are traditionally made with only eggs, sugar, and flour. No more, no less. While the regular sponge cakes are fun enough for a quick bite, the chocolate sponge cake version will just add that extra layer of oomph to your enjoyment.
CHOCOLATE SPONGE CAKE INGREDIENTS
- 4 large eggs (room temperature)
- ⅛ tsp of Salt
- ¾ cup of granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter (melted)
- ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup of cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp baking powder
BAKING MATERIALS YOU WILL NEED
- One/two 8-inch round cake pans (about 2-3 inches tall)
- Foil & non-stick baking spray/parchment paper liners for round cake pans 8 inches in diameter
- Cake strips (optional)
LET’S GET BAKING THE CHOCOLATE SPONGE CAKE!
- Start by sifting the all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder together into a bowl.
- Melt the unsalted butter.
- Line an 8-inch baking pan with foil or parchment paper and spray with nonstick spray. Wet the cake strip. Fasten it around the bottom part of the cake pan. This will ensure easy removal of the cake.
- Ensure that your mixer has the whisking attachment on. Crack 4 eggs into a mixer bowl and whip them until they are slightly foamy. Slowly pour the sugar into the whipped eggs and continue whipping for about 15 minutes or until the mixture forms a ribbon that doesn't disappear from the whisking attachment for about 3 seconds after you lift it off.
- Time to include the flour mixture into the eggs. Start by only adding half of the flour mixture and fold the batter until no streaks of flour are seen. Add the second half of the flour mixture and repeat. Don’t over-mix! You’ll make the cake dense!
- [Tip: Use a big spoon or spatula to go under the mixture and bring the contents from below and pour it on top. It’s a mixing skill.]
- Now, you can add the melted butter into the batter. Once again, don’t overmix!
- You can now place the mixture on the middle rack of a preheated (350 °F) oven and let it cook for 25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick (in the middle of the chocolate sponge cake) comes out clean.
- [WARNING: Do not open the oven before it is baked for at least 15 minutes! And when you’re shutting the oven door, do it slowly as to not interrupt the rising process]
- Let the cake sit in the pan for 5 minutes before removing it (after it is baked)
- Remove it from the pan and onto a cooling rack. Peel off the foil or parchment paper and allow it to cool completely.
- Enjoy the chocolate sponge cake!
And there you go! Easy, isn’t it? Now all you have to do is get a slice of this chocolate sponge cake and enjoy your day~ It may appear a bit taller than you’d like. You can simply cut the cake horizontally to make shorter chocolate sponge cakes. (But if you like them thick, then be our guest)
Maybe you’d want to try some other kinds of chocolate cake the next time you want to try baking? We got a whole list of chocolate cakes ready for you to see and be inspired if you click here.