Pandan Layer Cake is definitely all Malaysians’ childhood memories. Meanwhile baking it is not very hard if you have all the ingredients at home especially to those who even plant pandan at home. Let’s start baking!
A. Pandan Sponge Cake
- 4 eggs (Both egg yolks and egg white separated)
- 120 g (1/4 cup + 2 tsps) fine sugar
- 50 g (1/4 cup) corn oil (or other vegetable oil)
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) pandan juice
- 120 g (1 1/4 cups) cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
B. Pandan Jelly Layer
- 450 ml pandan juice*
- 450 ml thick coconut milk
- 95 g mung bean flour/green bean flour**
- 20 g custard powder
- 450 ml plain water
- 170 g sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsps agar-agar powder
- Let’s start with A. Whisk egg whites over low speed until large bubbles are formed. Next, Add in cream of tartar, whisk until small bubbles are formed.
- Add in 60g sugar gradually, whisk until stiff peaks. Then set it aside.
- Beat egg yolks and the remaining 60g sugar until thick, then mix in corn oil evenly then add in pandan juice, mix well.
- Sift cake flour and baking powder into egg yolk mixture, mix until just combined.
- Add the egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture in 3 batches, then fold the mixture evenly and make sure there’s no air bubble
- Pour the batter into the baking pan and make sure there’s no air bubble before baking it. Bake at 160°C for 25 minutes, then increase to 180°C and bake for another 10-15 minutes until fully cooked.
- While waiting for pandan sponge cake to bake, we continue doing B. Mix pandan juice, thick coconut milk, mung bean flour and custard powder, strain through a sieve into a cooking pot. Ensure the cooking pot has a thick base to prevent burning.
- Mix plain water, sugar, salt & agar-agar powder in a pot, boil it until agar-agar powder has melted.
- Add agar-agar mixture to the pandan mixture gradually while stirring. Cook mixture over medium-low heat until thickened. Cover and dip the cooking pot in hot water (to prevent mixture from setting).
- Cut the pandan sponge cake into 3 layers. Pour 300 g of pandan layer mixture into the baking pan, swirl to coat the sides. Top with 1 layer of cake, set aside for 3 minutes to allow the pandan layer to slightly set. Repeat the same for the 2nd and 3rd layer.
- Pour 300 g of mixture over the 3rd layer, set aside for 4-5 minutes. Pour the remaining mixture into the gap between the cake and baking pan, set aside until cooled. Once it cooled down, loosen it from the mould with a plastic knife.
- Lastly, cover it and keep it refrigerated for 4-5 hours. Finally you made yourself a delicious pandan layer cake.
12 steps and more than 6 hours baking, only you get to eat your favourite Pandan Layer Cake. Why not just order from Eat Cake Today? We have a list of delicious Pandan Layer Cake for you to order! Click the link below to check out our pandan layer cakes collection and order today: https://www.eatcaketoday.com/collections/layer-cakes